A few weeks ago I was visiting the MFP site and I mentioned that one of the common events in my life that triggers a crash from my diet is travel. I always start strong, but by mid-week I'm eating anything I can get my fingers on.


Unfortunately, with my work I travel a great deal. In fact, I left on Monday for five days in Colorado Springs. An area I know all too well through work. Prior to leaving, I knew that I wanted to remain strong on my lifestyle change. For three weeks I had done very well. I had recorded everything and consistently thought about what I ate. Sunday I stayed up to late and decided to skip my spinning class on Monday morning. But as I laid in bed thinking about skipping the class I thought--it is a slippery slope. As a result I jumped out of bed and set me alarm. I did get up and accomplished the productive workout. I hurried home, packed and left for the airport with a bag full of healthy foods.


I can summarize my trip as follows--I did great on Monday. I was strong during the travel to Colorado and I ate very smart while I was there. Tuesday I got up and ran for 3 miles with incredible views of the sunrise shining on Pike's Peak as a reward. I ate good on Tuesday as well. Wednesday I got up again and ran along a beautiful creek and felt great. I ate pretty good, but started to have some slip ups. Essentially, my team was sequestered in a room for countless hours. We had lunch brought in (which I wasn't in charge of) and I ended up eating foods that I had little input in. With that excuse laid out--I still ate more than I needed to of the wrong types of foods. I was up past midnight that night working on a legal document and I skipped my workout Thursday morning. I ate poorly on Thursday but the problem with the food being brought in and eating bad was only compounded by the fact that we sat around from 8am to midnight with no activity. Friday I woke up after 4 hours of sleep and headed to the airport. I ate poorly (the worst I had in four weeks) and I got home. Resolved to eat better on Saturday, I crashed again and realized that I was on that slipperly slope where I make a few mistakes and then I just cave in until I have forgotten my goals entireley.


Today I decided I needed to come back online and remind myself why I'm trying to eat good. Weight wise I am doing well and wasn't impacted as negatively as I expected during the week away from home. This week I have to get back on the horse and be much better.


From a motivation standpoint, I had a great experience this week. Thursday I learned that I had won a very prestigious recognition from my company. As part of this award I will have the chance to fly to Orlando with my wife for a week of company paid vacation at a very nice resort. As part of this week, there will be a banquet in which I'm recognized in front of a lot of high ups at my company and a significant audience. I want to use this as a goal to drop some serious weight so I feel great about my weight during this ceremony. I weighed in today at exactly 250lbs. Up from yesterday but down 18lbs overall. If I can lose 2lbs a week until the ceremony--I would be at 225 during the cermony. That would be fantastic. I wanted to right down this goal on this site as a commitment to the goal as opposed to viewing it as a wish. I will work towards this "carrot".


All in all, despite a dissapointing week, I'm still here making goals. I normally would give up upon my first failures, but I want to keep developing good habits. I'll post again soon.