It is Sunday morning and I have just weighed myself for the 14th time since starting this process. The good news is that in the 14 weigh-ins, I have dropped from 261.2 to 254.6 for a total of 6.6lbs. If there is a downside to these numbers, it is that I lost 4.8lbs of that weight in week 1 and only 1.4lbs in the second week. I was really hoping for bigger numbers this week. Overall I have created a weight chart of my targeted success. I’m very left-brained when it comes to weight loss. I analyze every aspect of the weight loss from my calories consumed and burned to the timeframe I expect to lose weight. I truly enjoy weighing myself daily simply so I can try to extrapolate trends and patterns in what I eat and drink in correlation with the numbers from the scale.

One of the items I mentioned I analyze is the projected timeframes I have set for targeted weight loss. My thought process during the creation of my weight loss chart was based on the idea that multiple books and experts indicate that the most weight you should lose at a healthy level shouldn’t exceed 2lbs/wk. As a result, I started with this number and reduced the number to 1.5lbs/wk. My thoughts in developing this weekly weight loss goal center on the idea that I think I can personal drop the 2lbs/wk but I gave myself wiggle room. In addition, by projecting this chart out to next year during the racing season—I can see how much I would weigh during the big races of the Robie Creek Half Marathon and the Boise Ironman. What I have found is that losing only 1.5lbs/wk enables me to reach an ideal racing weight prior to the upcoming races next year.

Again, I’m happy with the overall number of 6.6lbs. In fact, my overall number could be bumped up to 12lbs if I subtracted my current weight from the 267.6lbs mark I weighed a few weeks ago. Long story short, this week I’m going to ensure that I lose the 1.5lbs that I am targeting. Due to my solid week 1 effort, I have some breathing room. I’m still a month ahead of my targeted weight loss. My chart for the next few months is listed as follows: (keep in mind I have projected this out through next June).